1.04.2012

Walking to running a 5K

It's a new year, and like tons of others, I thought I would start my year off right losing the baby weight and getting back to running.  I would like to share with you all the program I used before and am using again to run.  I figure it worked once, I know it can work again.  If you are going to try it, Do it 3 to 4 times per week.  Don't forget to warm up and cool down.  Be sure to stretch and don't be afraid to take time off if injured or sick.

Week      Workout
1              Walk 30 minutes
2              Walk 5.5 minutes        Run 30 seconds     Repeat 5 times
3              Walk 5 minutes           Run 1 minute         Repeat 5 times
4              Walk 4 minutes           Run 2 minutes        Repeat 5 times
5              Walk 2 minutes           Run 4 minutes        Repeat 5 times
6              Walk 1.5 minutes        Run 6 minutes        Repeat 4 times
7              Walk 2 minutes           Run 8 minutes        Repeat 3 times
8              Walk 1 minute            Run 9 minutes         Repeat 3 times
9              Walk 1 minute            Run 14 minutes       Repeat 2 times
10            Run 30 minutes           Congratulations!

I would say to run at your pace, what feels good to you.

The best thing about running is all you need are shoes and the road, but a treadmill is handy in the winter!

Leave a comment with a link back to your running tips so that we can all help each other.

Good luck and have a Happy Humpday!

BJ

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Due to my bad knees, I have to be so careful when running. I usually get to a slow job or fast walk.

I'm still not cleared by my chiropractor to work out yet. HOPEFULLY by the first part of Feb. I actually miss working out!!

:)

Chris said...

Hi BJ, I'm afraid I cannot run, can barely walk most days due to severe back pain, but hon, I wish you all the very best in keeping to your plan. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

tristan said...

this is like c25k! i have this on my phone and want to start it. i have started it before and, let me tell you, it is great. i love running on the treadmill. :)